">Thanks for visiting, Please leave your comments.

Saturday, July 26, 2008

Week Twentyfive

My son, his friend (a very athletic young woman) and I all climbed the Wellsville Mountains today. Bad day to do it as the temp on the valley floor was about 95 F. We made it to the pass on the top and then this old man had to quit, rest and come back down. Drank lots of water and have lived to tell about it! The younger two do not seem to have any side effects but I am tired still.
The United States Congress designated the Wellsville Mountain Wilderness in 1984 and it now has a total of 20,988 acres. All of the wilderness is in Utah and is managed by the Forest Service.
Description
The Wellsville Mountain Wilderness extends along the high steep north-south ridge and both sides of the Wellsville Mountains for about 14 miles. It is located in Northern Utah southwest of Logan, Utah and encompasses extremely rugged and picturesque terrain. The mountains are one of the narrowest and steepest ranges in the Rockies, averaging only about five miles wide at its base and rising to its tallest summits, the Wellsville Cone at 9,356 feet and Box Elder Peak at 9,372 feet. Canyons cut into the mountains from the east and west. The water that runs out of the Wellsvilles is enough to supply many small Utah communities. Once devastated by overgrazing, the wilderness is on the road to recovery and now supports populations of deer, moose, and mountain lions, not to mention the occasional bighorn sheep. Raptors use this mountain range as a major flyway and the Hawkwatch International organization comes to the range frequently to record observations.
Looking North East into Cache Valley, Utah from near the top of the Wellsville Mountains.
Looking South towards the Wellsville Cone from Stewart Pass
Landing Zone
This (above image) was my search and rescue, life flight, helicopter waiting for take off.
(just kidding)

7 comments:

Barb said...

Magnificent! Just magnifcent! I love visiting your blog to see more of God's creation than I could ever possibly imagine.

Anonymous said...

Man, your still hiking a lot. How do you find all the close ups? When I hike I see plants and rocks. When you hike it seems you find tiny bugs and birds. Sometimes I wonder if I live in the same wonderful world that you show me each week. Guess I will have to look closer, and when I get life figured out I will start my own blog. PS I like your use of photos to tell the story instead of a bunch of judgmental words like some I read. Hang in there bro.

It's Time to Live... said...

Thanks Barb and Anon. Blogging makes me think and look at the world just a little closer. God's creations have always been close to me.

Steve Ballmer said...

Beautiful captures!

... great taste in blogs too!

Perry said...

Nicely done! Reminds me of the walk I took to Iron Mountain a couple weeks ago. You have much better butterflies though!

Kathiesbirds said...

Thanks for the education on the Wellsville Mountians. It's something I have heard of and seen but I didn't know all of this. Now you are making me miss Utah! It is so pretty there!

On Da Road said...

Very cool .. never saw a shot like that. Great catch.