">Thanks for visiting, Please leave your comments.

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Elk Calf in the forest, great find.

North American Elk
(Cervus elaphus)

This is an elk calf, he's only a few days old.
Instinct tells him to hide and hold still to be safe.
He did as instinct directed him to do. He did not
move except a little twitch of one ear and his
breathing got faster when we got close.
Took a few photos and left him alone.
If you are wondering,
this is a wild elk, not a zoo photo.

also - Keith, welcome back.


7 comments:

Zuzana said...

What an incredible moment in time captured by your camera lens. You can see how anxious it is in the eyes. I hope his mom returned shortly.
xoxo

KaHolly said...

What a sweet little thing! I'm glad it was you approaching him and not one of those grizzlies you photograph. Would staying perfectly still like that have kept him safe from a grizzly? ~karen

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Lovely.I had a chance on a White-tailed Deer fawn the other day.They are so cute.I posted a picture of it on my blog.
Blessings,Ruth

holdingmoments said...

Thanks Dale :)

What a great moment to capture. Certainly has the cute factor ;)

It's Time to Live said...

I'm not much good at following up on comments like many bloggers but I do appreciate your comments. Please remember that!

JoLynne Lyon said...

He's beautiful, and a very obedient young thing.

Bird Girl said...

Oh, how wonderful to happen upon this lovely and innocent creature! I've never seen an elk calf - though we do have an elk herd within in days drive. I really enjoyed inspecting these photos in the big version - wow!