">Thanks for visiting, Please leave your comments.

Thursday, May 26, 2011

A Day In The Marsh...

As seen from the seat of my canoe

Cattle Egret, Snowy Egret, Black Crowned Night Heron
all nesting in their Rookery.
Marsh Wren
White Face Ibis
White Pelican

Black Crown White Heron
Black Crown Night Heron
Night Heron Hatchlings

Snowy Egret
Dressed for the Prom.







Cattle Egret
Seems that each year gets harder to canoe out to these places
where the birds nest. My back does not work like it should and
neither do my knees. The trip out was fairly easy as I was moving
with the current of the river. This year we have very high run off
and the rivers are higher and running faster that normal. My return
trip back up stream was much harder and going under the bridge
to return to the Jeep was difficult but by kneeling and paddling
hard I made it back. I have to admit it was tempting to continue
downstream to another road a couple of miles away and call
someone to come and pick me up.
The rookery sites have moved this year due to the high water.
The gulls and terns were no where to be found. Most of the nests
of the Ibis and Egrets were very tall to get them out of the water.
----------------------
Snowy Egret
Cattle Egret
White Face Ibis
Ring Billed Gull
Marsh Wren
Red Wing Blackbird
Yellow Headed Blackbird
White Pelican
Black Neck Stilt
American Avocet
Mallard Duck
RedHead Duck
Northern Pintail
Coot
Western Grebe
Crested Cormorant
Green Wing Teal
Ruddy Duck
Gadwall
Bittern
Sandhill Crane
Canadian Goose
Robin
Starling
House Finch
Barn Swallow
Cliff Swallow
----------------------------------

9 comments:

holdingmoments said...

Wow, I'd love to be sitting in that canoe too!
Great series of shots Dale.
The Cattle Egrets are just beautiful.

It's Time to Live said...

Sorry holdingmoments, I had a 'something moment' my Snowy Egret and Cattle Egret were listed backward. It is corrected now.

JoLynne Lyon said...

Gorgeous photos, I love the snowy Egret's prom look.

Sondra said...

Awesome Birding!!! Love the photos.

Apuni said...

Great series of shots. Very beautful.

Kathryn Ashcroft (The Art of Nature) said...

Next time you should take your wife with you. She knows how to row a canoe and could have made life easier.....just sayin'.

It's Time to Live said...

Seems to me that there was only one day and a few hours between storms and she/you were busy. :)
Perhaps next time...

Steve Ballmer said...

Beautiful photos my friend!

Gail Durham said...

Wonderful pictures